Safety Tips: Basketball
en español: Consejos de seguridad: Baloncesto
Basketball is a way of life for millions of American kids and teens. It's fun to play and great exercise, but basketball is also a contact sport, and injuries happen. Also, because basketball players play year-round, indoors and out, many get repetitive stress injuries like tendonitis.
To keep your kids as safe as possible, make sure they follow these tips.
Safe Basketball Gear
Safety gear for basketball includes:
- a mouthguard to prevent broken teeth and mouth and tongue injuries (this is required in some leagues)
- protective eyewear
All basketball players should also wear:
- basketball sneakers that are supportive and fit well
- an athletic supporter (for guys)
- a supportive sports bra (for girls)
Safe Basketball Training
To prevent injuries during training, players should:
- Be in good shape before starting the season.
- Always warm up and stretch before practice and games.
- Stop training if they get hurt or feel pain and get checked by an athletic trainer, coach, doctor, or nurse before going back to training.
- Play different sports throughout the year to prevent overuse injuries.
All coaches should emphasize safe, fair play. This includes:
- knowing the rules of the game
- making sure the court is in good condition
- having a first-aid kit available at all practices and games
Date reviewed: February 2019