Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids and teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This dish is packed with calories and can be served as a meal or with vegetables.
Prep time: 45 minutes
What you need:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup beef gravy
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup high-calorie mashed potatoes, prepared
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Heat skillet and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add mushrooms, garlic, and onions and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl.
- Cook beef until brown in skillet over medium heat, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetable mixture, gravy, carrot, Worcestershire, and marjoram..
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon beef mixture into a small baking dish or two oven-safe bowls.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of beef mixture.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown, approximately 25 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 922 calories
- 34g protein
- 72g fat
- 931mg sodium
- 111mg calcium
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.