How to Use a Condom
- Use latex or polyurethane condoms.
- Check the condom and its wrapper before using. Make sure there are no tears or defects and that it is not expired.
- Do not keep condoms in your wallet. This can break them down so much that they don’t work.
- Put the condom on before you start having sex.
- If you are uncircumcised, pull back the foreskin before putting on the condom.
- If you use lubricant, make sure it’s water-based or silicone-based. Other types can break down the condom.
Reviewed by: Amy W. Anzilotti, MD
Date reviewed: September 2022