Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 35 minutes
What you need:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
Equipment and supplies:
- Saucepan for quinoa
- Small bowl for dressing
- Large bowl for salad
- Measuring cups/spoons
What to do:
- Place quinoa in strainer. Rinse under running water.
- Put quinoa and chicken broth in saucepan over high heat.
- Bring quinoa to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook quinoa for 10-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oil, salt, and white pepper. Set aside.
- Combine red pepper, parsley, green and red onions, tomatoes, and olives in a bowl. Stir in cooled quinoa, feta, and dressing.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 170 calories
- 5g protein
- 7g fat
- 1g sat. fat
- 23g carbohydrate
- 3g fiber
- 5mg cholesterol
- 520mg sodium
- 1g sugars
Serving size:1/6 recipe
Reviewed by: KidsHealth Medical Experts
Date reviewed: January 2023